Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Return from NeumaNN. . . and exams. . .

After finishing my previous post, I commuted to OSU by foot as I routinely do, although this time I intended to go for my Computer Science (CS) 162 and Physics (PH) 212 final exams that I confidently failed. Aside from that, the main course of activity was setting up an appeal to an academic dishonesty case that the aforementioned last name of a CS162 professor filed for me and a friend. After a couple more blogs, I will fully unveil what you may think is my racist nature, in case you haven't anticipated it yet.

Chronicle:
About a week and a half ago, me and a coworker (his skin color of which brown man despises) were suspected copying the weekly assigned project code from each other, it matters little how we were caught, but more importantly the incidents that follow.

He and I were first called to meet him individually, until now. When we were at his office, Neumann kept on insisting that we "went past the syllabus guidelines" and I didn't say anything to agree with him. It reached a point when we had to sign the academic dishonesty paper, whether we deny all claims of dishonesty or submit to the persistence of a nagging CS prof. I of course, in my right mind, chose to appeal and deny all claims, because at least if that fails, we both had a chance to not have an academic dishonesty archived in our files. My coworker, however, didn't. As plain as it seems, you might think both me and him would have already planned this out before hand. We had planned that both of us appeal, even though it was I who copied his code, not vice versa. Do you see where this is going? A well established stereotype seems to be apparent.

My coworker did everything by the rule. He was epically frightened of the academic dishonesty paper that Neumann will ominously place into his folder of reputation-tainting history. While I, on the other hand, can't wait to show off my stubbornness and ask him how I can appeal. So, here is the part you've all been so eagerly waiting for. . . FACT #2: White people get frightened VERY easily; in fact, so easily that even an unintended, unwelcoming facial gesture can dictate a make-it or break-it moment for someone who isn't used to their sensitivity. Unfortunately, brown men are born with mean or creepy idle facial expressions, another reason that lowers the comfort level of whites in the presence of brown man.

No comments:

Post a Comment