Friday, December 10, 2010

Truth Lies in What Brown Man Said (please notice the pun)

Today, I attended an appointment with my psychiatrist, and talked about topics that don't concern any of you except for the "brown man" topic. Mentioning culture shock to my psychiatrist, I got a reaction from her indicating that she wasn't surprised at all with what I brought up. In fact, when I explicitly told her that browns have a hard time making friends that are "of an ethnic majority in Corvallis" she instantly understood what I was trying to convey. I QUOTE her, "You will probably need to make friends one by one, [because people here are really cautious about brown people]. . . that they look Islamic." I know what I have in the square brackets aren't exactly what she said *HAHA I just had to type quote capitalized in the beginning of a sentence, something I always wanted to dot* but. . . she meant something like that :-) What I don't understand is why whites think brown people are "Islamic." Dude, Islam is a religion, it's like saying all white people look "Christian."

Another incident with NeumaNN made me feel like I had no face to save. The last meeting before this one, I said I would appeal to the case, but apparently today I felt like I had to swallow my pride and not let another white man view Arabs with a worse reputation, considering that the their reputation is shit as it is. You dig? A clarification: Arabs, which make a GREAT portion of the international student population, are infamous in many different attributes. Look forward to my future blogs as to why I mentioned this.

I went to Dixon Recreation Center (the gym) in hopes of buffing myself up. Usually it would be a lot fuller than it was tonight, but that's due to exams week, as well as the fact that people who already finished exams got the hell outta dodge. I see this brown Paki that I usually see around campus, and who's been in at least two of my classes. This man has white friends. This man ALSO has a HEAVY Indian accent (word up, our brown man from the forums). I knew he had white friends because he is social and walks with white people. I know this because I saw him do that several times. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean that he isn't part of our brown man, white people scenario, for he still might follow our sociological rule of the brown man; just that he doesn't look like he's severely impacted by it from a third-person perspective. I will look into this further and update you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment